Sutton Scholarship Award
Sutton Award for excellence in communicating current conservation issues
Honoring the contributions of individuals anywhere who effectively use the visual arts to convey current conservation messages
Providing scholarship funds to Oklahoma high school students who use visual media to convey current conservation messages
2019 Sutton Award
ABOUT THE AWARD
Because people do not care about the things they do not know, EDUCATION is crucial to all of our conservation efforts. As an added challenge, we know that many young people have few opportunities to interact directly with nature and continue to be more and more disconnected from our natural world.
2019 marks the 15th consecutive year of the partnership between the Sutton Avian Research Center and NatureWorks, Inc. Through this Award more than 2,600 Oklahoma High School students have been encouraged to communicate conservation through art.
Today, as schools struggle to afford enrichment programs like the arts, it is exciting to be able to connect our conservation mission with schools to provide significant scholarships (up to $20,000) for students AND their teachers who work so hard to run their programs on shoestring budgets.
The Sutton Award is free to enter and open to Oklahoma High School students grades 10-12 (public, private or homeschool). In addition to the artwork, each student submits a 250 word essay that explains how his or her work communicates information about a current conservation issue. Each submission is judged 2/3 on artwork and 1/3 on essay.
Categories: 2D, 3D, mixed media, photography
- SUBMIT ENTRY ONLINE JANUARY 1- JANUARY 10 AT MIDNIGHT
- COMPLETE FORM AND ATTACH TO ARTWORK. (DOWNLOAD FORM HERE WHEN AVAILABLE)
- DROP OFF ARTWORK WITH FORM ATTACHED
- Tulsa Area (date, time, location TBA)
- Oklahoma City Area (date, time, location TBA)
- ENTRIES WILL BE JUDGED BY OUR PANEL PRIOR TO FEBRUARY 2. ARTWORK IS SCORED 2/3 ON ARTISTIC PRESENTATION AND 1/3 ON ESSAY.
- IMPORTANT DATES January 1- Online Submissions Open January 10- Online Submissions Close at Midnight January 11- Artwork Drop-Off January 12- Artwork Drop-OffJanuary 15-February 2- Artwork on Display at the HIVE in Jenks (gallery times on HIVE website)
February 1- Patron Event Celebrating Teachers
February 2- Sutton Award Banquet and Artwork Pick Up
February 4- Final Artwork Pick Up
AWARD BANQUET INFORMATION
The banquet is held on Saturday, February 2 at 1:00 for all participants, their families and teachers. (Location TBA) RSVP by January 25th. Click HERE (when available) to RSVP.
If you would like more information about participating in the 2019 Sutton Award or becoming a sponsor, please contact Audra Fogle, Director of Development. email@example.com